Hypercon 10 is a medication indicated for the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It is used as part of a complete treatment program to increase an ADHD patient’s ability to pay attention, concentrate, stay focused; to reduce hyperactivity and impulsiveness in both children and adults.
Hypercon 10 contains 10mg of Atomoxetine. This drug belongs to the drug class called selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. It works by increasing levels of norepinephrine which is a brain chemical that is necessary in controlling behavior.
Hypercon 10 is manufactured by Consern Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
p style=”text-align: justify;”>Contraindications
Hypercon is contraindicated to patients with known allergic reaction to any of the tablet ingredients. It is also contraindicated to patients with the following medical conditions:
• Severe heart problems, irregular heartbeat, severe blood vessel problems, severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, narrow-angle glaucoma
• Active or history of pheochromocytoma
• Cerebrovascular disease
• Have taken or taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors within the last 14 days
Warnings and Precautions
Hypercon may cause an interaction with medical conditions and medications. Before using this medication, a patient must first inform a physician if any of the following apply:
• Pregnancy and breastfeeding
• Liver problems
• Urination trouble
• Raynaud syndrome
• Patient or family member history of bipolar disorder, other mental or mood problems, suicidal thoughts or attempts, and alcohol or drug abuse
• Patient or family member history of heart problems, heart attack, abnormal ECG, stroke, high or low blood pressure
• Patient history of seizure, increased eye pressure, blood or bleeding problems
A patient must also inform a physician of all other past and current medications such as but not limited to:
• Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like phenelzine – may cause severe or even fatal side effects like severe high blood pressure, high fever, severe agitation, muscle problems, and coma. MAOIs must not be taken 2 weeks before or after taking Atomoxetine (Hypercon)
• Quinidine or SSRIs like fluoxetine – may increase risk of atomoxetine side effects
• Albuterol – atomoxetine may increase risk of side effects of the drug
• Cough and cold medications may contain ingredients that cause an increase in blood pressure and heart rate, or cause drowsiness
• Antihistamines or sleep medications
This is not a complete list of drug interaction. A patient must never start taking other new medications without consulting a healthcare provider.
Atomoxetine may cause dizziness, light-headedness, and fainting. These effects may be prevented by sitting up or standing slowly. At the first sign of these side effects, the patient must sit or lie down.
Caution is advised when driving, performing tasks requiring alertness, and operating machineries due to the side effects that the drug may cause like dizziness and drowsiness.
The growth rate, weight, and final adult weight of children may be affected by the long term use of this medication. A physician may briefly stop the treatment for certain times to reduce this risk. A child’s weight and height should be checked regularly.
Children and teenagers with ADHD may be at increased risk of suicidal thoughts or attempts. The risk is greater for those who have a personal or family history of suicidal thoughts or attempts, and bipolar illness. Adults may also be at risk. Patients taking this medication must be closely monitored.
Atomoxetine is under Pregnancy Category C – risk can’t be ruled out as animal studies have shown fetal harm. However, human studies are inadequate. It is also unknown if the drug passes into breast milk. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should first discuss the benefits and risks of this medication before taking it.
Hypercon and Alcohol
Alcohol consumption may worsen the side effects of Atomoxetine (Hypercon) such as drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting. It is best to avoid alcohol consumption when taking this medication.